Estimated Time to Read: 3 minutes
It’s summertime! With all that summer sun and heat, it’s time to let go of our bundled up (and for some of us pasty) winter looks and embrace those summer bronzers. It isn’t really all about the tan, though; it’s all about the even tan. There’s nothing worse than being plagued by awkward tan lines that stubbornly persist for the entire summer. Have you ever gotten a sunburn in a convertible? Those seatbelt and spaghetti strap lines crisscross to make the most interesting geometric shapes on your shoulders—but interesting and geometric aren’t exactly the look that’s trending right now. Nor are the polka dots you get when you tan through one of those cute mesh overshirts. But if weird tan lines aren’t your thing, then what’s the best way to get an even, geometry-free tan? You use a proper tanning bed lotion—that’s how.
What’s in a tanning bed lotion?
A lotion, by any other name, wouldst smell as sweet—but it probably doesn’t have everything your skin needs to stay smooth, silky, and tan line-free. Yep, you read that right. Just because you are using a tanning bed doesn’t mean you are safe from the plague that is the awkward tan line. A tanning bed is designed to distribute the light much more evenly over your body—so you don’t have to worry about remembering to turn over, or dodging the bit of shade from the tree, or even the gradient tan you get from your upper body being consistently closer to the sun and out of the shadows than your lower half (there’s a reason it’s so much easier to tan your arms than your legs). However, even with all the help a tanning bed provides, there are variables that can disrupt the evenness of your tan. One of those is your tanning bed lotion.
Did you know that there are different kinds of tanning bed lotions? You should! The type of tanning bed lotion you get is going to dictate the type of tan you get, and while that may not sound like a big deal, it might be if you choose a lotion that doesn’t complement your skin type, your lifestyle, or your tanning preference.
Let’s take a closer look at the tanning bed lotions you can choose from:
• Accelerator lotions work sort of like your starter tanning bed lotion. They contain more moisturizer to keep the skin better hydrated, and that makes them much better suited to those who are new to indoor tanning. It helps your skin adjust to the tanning process, protects it from damage, and helps you get a nice, even, natural-looking tan.
• Tingle lotions are for the more experienced tanners who frequent tanning beds more often. They contain powerful active ingredients that make your skin “tingle” while they introduce more oxygen into the skin cells. This allows the skin to darken for a better, longer-lasting tan.
• Bronzers are tanning bed lotions that actually dye the color of your skin at the same, enhancing the color of your tan. This is done using DHA, or dihydroxyacetone, or natural, plant-based bronzers. While most bronzers will enhance the color of your tan quickly, they also need to be reapplied often because they will fade over time.
Remember to moisturize—the right way!
Using the correct tanning bed lotion is about more than the type of tan you are looking for. You have to remember that the best way to get an even tan is to look after your skin. Using a tanning bed might be a more controlled form of exposing your skin to UV, but you still risk damaging your skin. Moisturizing helps to protect your skin cells and keep them healthy, but it also prevents any extra dry skin that might build up in specific areas from taking on more color than other areas, leaving you with a blotchy tan and potentially itchy, flaking dry skin. You don’t, however, want to use the wrong moisturizer either. Using a moisturizer that isn’t designed for a tanning bed can cause problems, too. You’re best to use a tanning bed lotion that has a really good moisturizer that uses natural ingredients built right in. It’s the best way to get an even tan while protecting your skin and getting the tan you are looking for.
- The Ten Things You Must Know About Eyelash Extensions Eyelash extensions are most up-to-date additions in cosmetic industry concepts that enable you to include...
- Everything You Need to Know About Volume Lash Extensions The best benefit of volume lash extensions it that its adoption in the makeup industry...
- Tips for Using Tanning Lotions for Tanning Beds Tanning lotions are not just to protect you in the outdoor sunshine. They are needed...
- Why Indoor Tanning Is Safer Than Sun Tanning To Look Your Best The summer months are upon us again, and we’re all shaking...