Estimated Time to Read: 3 minutes
Woman’s lingerie comprises of different products that serve different functions. Suspenders or garter belts are they are more popularly known, were introduced for their functional purpose, but have gone on to become something that is attached with eroticism as well. Read on to know more about suspenders for women that have become essential in any woman’s closet that’s filled with stockings and dresses.
What is a suspender?
A suspender is a piece of women’s undergarment comprising of an elasticated strip (about 2 to 3 inches wide) that is worn around the waist. Suspender slings, which maybe two, three, four, or even more in number, are attached to this elasticated belt. At the end of each sling lies a metal clip with a rubber disc that is inserted through the stocking to hold it in place. These slings usually come with adjustable mechanisms that allow for length adjustments to fit the body perfectly.
The function of a suspender
The primary function of a suspender is to hold stockings in place effectively, without letting them roll down. This lingerie articles were primarily used from the 18th to 20th century. However with the advent of elastics and hold ups that come as part of stockings, the need for these belts declined. Garter belts and suspenders continue to be used from a fashion and style perspective. These undergarments are also popular among women who cannot wear tights and panty hoses owing to medical reasons.
How to wear a suspender
Suspenders are generally worn around the waist. A suspender that is worn too low may result in your stocking rolling down, and one that is worn too high may cause it to stretch, and ultimately tear. The garment needs to fit your waist properly and should not be too loose or too tight.
How to select a suspender
When selecting a garter belt or a suspender, few things need to be kept in mind, such as the following
- The design of suspender is governed by the end need. This maybe a functional one, a medical one, or something purely erotic. If these belts are to be worn every day, they need to be long lasting, and have sufficient width and straps to hold up the stocking for a long time. Six or more straps with adjustable lengths, and eye adjusters at the back of the waistband, are ideal for daily use. A simple design with four straps is appropriate for garter belts picked for erotic purposes.
- The garter belt needs to be of a proper fit, and should lie flat against the skin. This ensures that the suspenders lie hidden under any attire that you wear. One that is too tight can cause unsightly bulges, while on that is too loose can cause the stockings to roll down.
- Suspenders come in a wide range of materials such as cotton, satin, lace, power net, faux fur, vinyl, and nylon. The choice of a material is governed by the kind of use, and the occasion. Breathable materials like cotton and lighter ones like power net are ideal for suspenders used for daily wear. These materials stay comfortable even when you sweat, and allow your intimate areas to breathe. Materials like leather, vinyl, lace etc. are ideal for short time use in bedrooms.
- The colour of the garter belt or suspender is yet another deciding factor for the purchase. A belt in black or nude shades such as white, off white, skin, or beige work well with most stocking and dresses in your wardrobe. However, coloured ones too are available, which add some vibrancy and liveliness to bright clothes and special occasions.
- Finally, the price of the article too matters when buying it. When suspenders need to be used every day and need to stay long, it is better to invest in quality products that retain their shape and functionality over use. However, a cheaper one may suffice if you would wear it only for a couple of minutes on rare occasions.
Women’s suspenders are an important part of your wardrobe, especially if you have the habit of using stockings. These undergarments perform a functional as well as an aesthetic role that can enhance or kill the look of your garment.
- The Importance of Swimsuit Accessories For all of the emphasis put into swimwear, there has not been enough focus on...
- Real Designer Swimwear What does the word “designer” mean in the world of fashion? It used to mean...
- Your Ultimate Guide to Women’s Underwear Sets To look beautiful outside, you sure need to feel confident inside. Lingerie, or women’s intimate...
- Three Reasons Why Women Need Suspenders You have heard of them before, you are planning to buy one, or already own...